The Stella Prize is an annual prize celebrating Australian women’s contribution to literature and is named after Stella Maria Sarah ‘Miles’ Franklin.
Both nonfiction and fiction books by Australian women are eligible for entry. Books entered in the 2019 Stella Prize must be first published between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2018. The winning book will be original, excellent and engaging.
Entries to the 2019 Stella Prize will open Wednesday 1 August 2018.
Early-bird entries will be eligible for a discounted entry fee of $60 and will be accepted from Wednesday 1 August to 5.00pm AEST Thursday 23 August 2018.
For general entries the rate is $80, and these will be accepted from Friday 24 August till 5.00pm AEST Friday 28 September 2018.
Late entries will be accepted until Thursday 13 December 2018 for books published between 29 September and 31 December 2018 ONLY.
Please contact us to arrange a late entry.
Eligibility Guidelines – 2019 Stella Prize
- The Stella Prize is open to books by female-identifying writers who are either Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia at the time of entry.
- To be eligible for entry in the 2019 prize, books must have been first published in English anywhere in the world between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2018.
- Both fiction and nonfiction books are eligible for the prize. This includes: novels of all genres, collections of short stories by a single author, memoirs, biographies, histories, verse novels, and novellas of at least 20,000 words. Illustrated books, including graphic novels, are eligible, provided they are accompanied by a substantial quantity of text.
- Books that are not eligible for the prize include: academic textbooks, guidebooks, self-help books, poetry collections, play or film scripts, books written primarily for children, books consisting of illustrations or photographs, and adaptations, unless they represent a significant and creative transformation of the original text.
- Books that are not eligible for the prize include books written by current Board members or employees of The Stella Prize.
- Books can be co-authored but edited collections will not be accepted. Books cannot be entered in the name of an editor or a committee. In the case of a book with multiple authors, all authors must meet eligibility criteria number 1.
- Self-published books and books published only in ebook form are ineligible for entry.
- Entries must be in English. Bilingual editions are eligible, as are books first published in another language and then translated into English and first published in English during the eligibility period.
- Books may be entered by publishers, writers or agents. If the book is being entered by a publisher or agent, the author’s consent to enter the work must be obtained. The author’s personal contact details must be included on the nomination form.
- The shortlisted and winning authors will be asked to participate in a number of public and media events at the time of, and in the months following, the prize announcements. Entry into the prize confirms the author’s willingness to make herself available, where possible, to a number of media commitments. All shortlisted authors are encouraged to attend the award ceremony, and publishers may be expected to contribute towards various travel, media and promotional expenses.
- Publishers of books shortlisted for the 2019 Stella Prize will be expected to contribute $500 (per title) towards the costs of marketing the 2019 Stella Prize Shortlist.
- Each entry must be accompanied by the relevant entry fee. Early-bird entries will be eligible for a discounted entry fee of $60 and will be accepted from Wednesday 1 August till 5.00pm AEST Thursday 23 August 2018. The rate for standard entries is $80. General entries will be accepted from Friday 24 August till 5.00pm AEST Friday 28 September 2018.
- Entry forms can be completed online via Submittable. Six copies of the entered book must be supplied. If the book is longlisted or shortlisted, additional copies will be requested. All components of an entry – online form, fee, printed acknowledgment of entry and six physical books – must be received by the relevant closing date above, i.e. by 5.00pm AEST Thursday 23 August 2018 for early-bird entries and by 5.00pm AEST Friday 28 September 2018 for general entries. An exception will be made for books published between 29 September 2018 and 31 December 2018. Late entries and delivery of books will be accepted for these books up until Thursday 13 December 2018. Please contact us as soon as possible via firstname.lastname@example.org if you intend to enter a book that falls under this category.
- If you are unable to complete the online entry form, or pay the entry fee online, please contact us via email@example.com before Wednesday 12 September 2018 to make alternate arrangements.
The Stella Prize longlist will be announced in February 2019, and the shortlist in March 2019. The prize winner will be announced in April 2019.
For updates on the Stella Prize’s events and activities please subscribe to our email list below.