The Stella Prize is an annual prize celebrating Australian women’s contribution to literature, and is named after Stella Maria Sarah ‘Miles’ Franklin.
Both nonfiction and fiction books by Australian women are eligible for entry. The winning book will be original, excellent and engaging.
Entries for the 2018 Stella Prize open on 1 August 2017.
Click Here to Enter the 2018 Stella Prize
Eligibility Guidelines – 2018 Stella Prize
- The Stella Prize is open to books by female-identifying writers who are either Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia at the time of entry.
- To be eligible for entry in the 2018 prize, books must have been first published in English anywhere in the world between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2017.
- Both fiction and nonfiction books are eligible for the prize. This includes: novels of all genres, collections of short stories by a single author, memoirs, biographies, histories, verse novels, and novellas of at least 20,000 words. Illustrated books, including graphic novels, are eligible, provided they are accompanied by a substantial quantity of text.
- Books that are not eligible for the prize include: academic textbooks, guidebooks, self-help books, poetry collections, play or film scripts, books written primarily for children, books consisting of illustrations or photographs, and adaptations, unless they represent a significant and creative transformation of the original text.
- Books that are not eligible for the prize include books written by current Board members or employees of The Stella Prize.
- Books can be co-authored but edited collections will not be accepted. Books cannot be entered in the name of an editor or a committee. In the case of a book with multiple authors, all authors must meet eligibility criteria number 1.
- Self-published books and books published only in ebook form are ineligible for entry.
- Entries must be in English. Bilingual editions are eligible, as are books first published in another language and then translated into English and first published in English during the eligibility period.
- Books may be entered by publishers, writers or agents. If the book is being entered by a publisher or agent, the author’s consent to enter the work must be obtained. The author’s personal contact details must be included on the nomination form.
- The shortlisted and winning authors will be asked to participate in a number of public and media events at the time of, and in the months following, the prize announcements. Entry into the prize confirms the author’s willingness to make herself available, where possible, to a number of media commitments. All shortlisted authors are encouraged to attend the award ceremony, and publishers may be expected to contribute towards various travel, media and promotional expenses.
- Publishers of books shortlisted for the 2018 Stella Prize will be expected to contribute $500 (per title) towards the costs of marketing the 2018 Stella Prize Shortlist.
- Each entry must be accompanied by the relevant entry fee. Early-bird entries will be eligible for a discounted entry fee of $60 and will be accepted from Tuesday 1 August till 5.00pm Tuesday 29 August 2017. The rate for standard entries is $80, and these will be accepted from Wednesday 30 August till 5.00pm AEST Friday 29 September 2017.
- Entry forms can be completed online via Submittable. Six copies of the entered book must be supplied. If the book is longlisted or shortlisted, additional copies will be requested. All components of an entry – online form, fee, printed acknowledgment of entry and six physical books – must be received by the relevant closing date above, i.e. by 5.00pm AEST Tuesday 29 August 2017 for early-bird entries and by 5.00pm AEST Friday 29 September 2017 for standard entries. An exception will be made for books published between 29 September 2017 and 31 December 2017. Late entries and delivery of copies will be accepted for these books up until Thursday 14 December 2017. Please contact us as soon as possible via email@example.com if you intend to enter a book that falls under this category.
- If you are unable to complete the online entry form, or pay the entry fee online, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday 13 September to make alternate arrangements.
The Stella Prize longlist will be announced in February 2018, and the shortlist in March 2018. The prize winner will be announced in April 2018.
For updates on the Stella Prize’s events and activities please subscribe to our email list below.